Saturday, April 30, 2016

Visual Explication of Pablo Neruda





One Hundred Love Sonnets: XVII


TRANSLATED BY MARK EISNER

I don’t love you as if you were a rose of salt, topaz, 
or arrow of carnations that propagate fire: 
I love you as one loves certain obscure things, 
secretly, between the shadow and the soul. 

I love you as the plant that doesn’t bloom but carries 
the light of those flowers, hidden, within itself, 
and thanks to your love the tight aroma that arose 
from the earth lives dimly in my body. 

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where, 
I love you directly without problems or pride: 
I love you like this because I don’t know any other way to love, 
except in this form in which I am not nor are you, 
so close that your hand upon my chest is mine, 
so close that your eyes close with my dreams.

I wanted to paint something surreal and very saturated with color, so I chose a love poem (of one of my mom's fav poets Pablo Neruda rocks), because how much more surreal and colorful can it get, right? I tried to capture the ways in which the speaker both loves and does not love. Tell me what you think! What images come to your mind when you read this poem?

8 comments:

  1. I love all the colors in your painting. Very vivid and red contrasting with the soft blues, goes nicely with the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Pablo Neruda, and this painting is a wonderful, intense visual explication o this cool poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your painting. That's totally something I would hang up somewhere. The colors go perfectly with the poem and I really like how you showed the inner flower at the bottom right instead of just a lot of red and similarly with the sky and the person in the closed flower. The painting was really cool and I think that it makes the poem less confusing...I'm not sure what I would have thought with the poem by itself, and it may have just not made an impact, but the painting really adds well to the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Lark! The first time I looked at this I thought it was done by a professional artist. Nice use of vivid, warm colors throughout the visual and eye/middle of the flower does a great job capturing the attention of the viewer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The purple accent within the reddish background really makes it pop out... just wow. The bee looks really happy, and I get a fuzzy feeling on the inside seeing your painting. The bee is clinging onto the flower very hard, like it really loves it. This painting just made my day. Thanks for creating such a beautiful post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I read the poem, the first stanza made me think of two people in love, hidden from public view. The second stanza has a very contrasting message, and makes for a better painting, though! Awesome job, Lark!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cool! The bright colors really reflect the mood of the poem, and I like how there is an eye watching everything in your painting.

    ReplyDelete